Please note that the following conditions must be adhered to by all 2019 Elvis Poets’ Breakfast participants. Failure to do so may result in removal from the competition.
- All poems must mention Elvis, Parkes Elvis Festival or Parkes Elvis Festival events. The 2020 Festival theme is ‘Frankie and Johnny’.
- Poems can be written in the traditional rhyme and meter style or free and open verse.
Poems will be judged a mark out of 60 on the following criteria:
- Originality of concept or novel approach to a ‘well worn’ subject (20pts)
- Meter/rhyme (if used) (15 pts)
- Language (15pts)
- Conclusion (punchline/wrap up) (10pts)
Poems will be judged a mark out of 40 on the following criteria:
- Diction (9pts)
- Pace and variation (9pts)
- Volume and range (9pts)
- Audience response (13pts)
Overall score _____________/100
Entries must be received no later than Monday 6 January 2020
Conditions of Entry
- Submitted entries will be judged on both their written content as well as the author’s ability to present their poem in a performance situation. The written judging will take place before the Thursday 10 January (see judging criteria). The performance judging will take place at the Poets’ Breakfast on Thursday 10 January.
Conditions of Entry Continued
- The poem may be read for the purpose of performance. Learning and reciting the poem is not a prerequisite or a condition of the judging criteria.
- Poems can be traditional in rhyme and meter, or free or open verse. Both serious and humorous poems will be accepted.
- Entrants may enter in either the Open or Novice categories. The Novice category is only open to those who have never entered a poetry competition before. All entrants are automatically eligible for People’s Choice category.
- Entries close last mail Monday 6 January 2020.
- If the contestant cannot be present on the day a representative can read their poem, however the entry form must have been received and registration paid.
- A completed entry form must accompany each poem entry.
- Entry into the Elvis Poets’ Breakfast Competition is FREE – you will still need to pay for entry to the event
- All entries are to be the original work of the entrant and must be about Elvis or the Parkes Elvis Festival in general. There is no word or line limit. The 2020 Festival theme is ‘Frankie and Johnny’.
- The top six (6) written entries in both the Open and Novice sections will be announced on the morning of the Poet’s Breakfast. These six (6) entries in each section will proceed to Part 2 of judging i.e. presentation.
- Entries should be typed on one side of A4 paper, single-line spacing with double-line spacing between verses. Please include title and page number on each page. Personal details should not appear on the poem, only on this entry form which serves as a cover sheet.
- Post two copies of your poem to Parkes Visitor Information Centre, PO Box 532, Parkes NSW 2870 or email [email protected]
- All entries are to be available for reproduction and /or publication by the Parkes Elvis Festival with copyright being retained by the author.
- The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.